Apply for a Grant
Grant applications will be accepted between November 1, 2018 and January 19, 2019
About the Grant
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) – Chicago Section annually offers grants of up to $2,000 to Chicago area Public Libraries. The “Science Kits for Public Libraries” (SKPL) grant is focused on the development of circulating math and science kit collections and is intended for pre-university students (K-12). The purpose of the SKPL project is to provide hands on, self-directed educational opportunities in math and science to pre-university students by supporting Chicago area Public Libraries especially in the development of circulating collections of Science Kits.
Get the Application for 2018 SKPL Grant – Chicago Section. This link connects to Google Forms for submitting application
Use this form for your Budget.
- The IEEE-Chicago Section has one grants cycle each year.
- Submissions will be accepted beginning November 1, 2018 until January 19, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Central Time.
- Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Funding decisions announced after February 28, 2019
- The applicant must be a Public Library.
- The Grant request is for no more than $2000.
- The Grant is restricted to public libraries located at least partly in the territory of the IEEE-Chicago Section.
- The grant provides funding to establish a circulating science kit collections program.
- Libraries that already have a circulating science kits collection program are not eligible for this grant.
Libraries awarded funding are expected to:
- Create or purchase science kits each of which consists of equipment, instructions for prepared experiments, and workbooks.
- Include the science kit in their circulating collection.
- Add materials (books, DVDs, etc.) to the circulating collection which support the topics featured in the kits.
- Develop programming for pre-university students (K-12) which promotes the study of science and the use of the science kits.
- Plan for sustaining the project after grant funding is concluded.
- Plan for other public libraries to replicate the results and for teaching best practices to others.
- Cooperate with IEEE on publicity and promotion of the project.
- Tag the science kits stating that funding is provided by the IEEE – Chicago Section.