The Senior FPGA Engineer is responsible for most aspects of FPGA development, ranging from requirements analysis and FPGA architecture down to integration and debug. Specific role varies by project assignment.
• Develops digital FPGA logic solutions targeting applications such as system communications/control, data movement and processing, and embedded microprocessors.
• Participates in the engineering life cycle of FPGA products including requirements, architecture, design, implementation, verification, integration, and debug following appropriate engineering best practices and department processes.
• Prepares design documentation and participates-in design reviews.
• Provides input for project analysis and planning efforts and provides timely status input to engineering management.
Bachelors of Science (Master’s or Ph.D.) in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering.
5+ years of relevant experience.
• Digital FPGA architecture and design for embedded systems.
• High bandwidth data communications, storage, and manipulation in an FPGA
• Writing and reviewing documentation including requirements, design, verification, and interface guides (e.g. User, Software).
• Hardware/Software integration and lab debug using common equipment including internal FPGA logic analyzer tools (e.g. Vivado Logic Analyzer)
• Communicating and coordinating across engineering functional teams to achieve project goals
• HDL coding (e.g. VHDL, Verilog, etc.) for FPGA development and simulation.
• HDL design and coding best practices for purpose (e.g. resource use, clock-rate, latency).
• FPGA design tools, simulation tools (e.g. Xilinx Vivado, Mentor QuestaSim).
• Source control tools (e.g. Subversion, ClearCase).
• Standard office software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, etc.).
• Generates creative solutions; welcomes feedback to modify and improve designs.
• Is accurate, thorough and monitors own work quality; constantly looking for ways to improve and promote quality.
• Quickly adapts to changes in priority, approach or method to best fit the situation; manages competing demands; deals well with delays or unexpected events.
• Effectively presents information to a variety of people, including senior management and peers on project teams; ability to translate complex ideas into easy to understand explanation.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong communication (verbal, written, listening) and time/task management skills.
• Is tactful and professional; treats others with respect and consideration.