The Professional Communications Society(PCS), Chicago Chapter of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) serves engineering professionals in the twelve counties of the greater Chicago area. As part of the Chicago Section, the PC Chapter provides a local interface to the worldwide network of the IEEE. In addition, the PC Chapter organizes technical presentations, social events, and networking opportunities of interest to technical communication professionals.
Field of Interest
The PCS field of interest includes the study, development, improvement, and promotion of effective techniques for preparing, organizing, processing, editing, collecting, conserving, teaching, and disseminating any form of technical information by and to individuals and groups by any method of communication. It also includes technical, scientific, industrial, and other activities that contribute to the techniques and products used in this field.
The specific areas encompassed by the Society’s field of interest include all forms of communication related to engineering practice, including:
- Electronic information (e.g., Web sites, CD-ROMs, interactive TV, online help)
- Technical proposals, reports and documentation
- Printed publications and oral presentations
- Electronic publishing
- User interfaces
- Usability evaluations
The Society’s field of interest also includes the research and development of new techniques, the definition of professional standards, and the fostering of continuing education related to these activities.
To foster a community dedicated to understanding and promoting effective communication in engineering, scientific, and other technical environments. To this end, the IEEE Professional Communication Society endeavors to:
- Advance technical and scientific communication as an essential element of engineering;
- Help engineers, scientists, and other technically oriented professionals to communicate better in the workplace–both in speaking and in writing, both verbally and nonverbally;
- Promote and disseminate best practices and research results on the development, maintenance, delivery, and management of technical content; and,
- Promote and facilitate leading-edge education and training of engineers, scientists, and other technically oriented professionals in communication theory and practice.
IEEE Professional Communication Society Chair: Robert Burke
IEEE Professional Communications Society